Saturday, June 20, 2009

Spring has sprung!

We planted tomatoes and strawberries earlier this spring and we are starting to see results!! Who knew a bunch of city slickers like us had green thumbs!!
First harvest! Yep only three, but the sweetest strawberries ever.


Don't they look yummy?? Went out to pick the next batch that I had seen ripening, but by they time I got there someone, or something had beat me to it!! So we had to put up some "protection". Since Kevin and I couldn't figure a schedule for sitting on the roof with a bb gun we had to improvise....

Nope! That's not the protection. Think of it as a commercial break. Just the lillies in our front yard! Pretty!! And there's a ton of them!


Can't really see it that well in this picture of Kevin musing over all the things he's going to put tomatoes in, but we put up a "cage" of bird netting around our garden. As well as the tomatotes and strawberries, I planted some basil, cilantro and oregano!! If only I knew what to do with it!!

The fruits of Kevin's labors!!

I've gone all newfangled and I'm using the Topsy-Turvy!! AS SEEN ON TV!! But purchased at Fred Meyer at a fraction of the cost! So far, so good! Got a bunch of Juliet tomatoes growing at the moment. Also put a plant for Big Boys, but I dropped the whole thing while I was putting soil in it, so I thing Big Boy was really a wuss, 'cause it's not doing as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The strawberries looked yummy until I saw one in Martha's mouth. It looks like you guys really do have green thumbs with all the food you are producing. Guess you'll have to start selling at the farmers market.

Brooke said...

I always wanted to try the upside down tomato plants! Man, now I am going to go buy them. Looks like you are learning to grow quite a garden. I am interesetd in doing one as well now that I came back from Salt Spring Island and my sister-in-law has one too....maybe all domesticated wives are supposed to have one?? :)

Anonymous said...

Wish our tomato plant was doing as well as yours are! We're just trying to keep everything alive right now!